“I have been thinking about having a facial rejuvenation for some time but have never actually taken any steps towards it.”
If this is reflects your thoughts, you’re in luck. Because this blog post will provide an insight to what an initial facial rejuvenation and beautification consultation will be like.
WHAT IS FACIAL REJUVENATION (FACIAL BEAUTIFICATION)
Facial rejuvenation and beautification is a series of cosmetic treatments that aims to restore a youthful appearance and at the same time, balance out features on the face. It seeks to not only turn back the clock for those who need it, but also create harmony among facial features to make them more balanced. Before we discuss the techniques for facial rejuvenation, we must first understand the changes that come with ageing.
As we get older, the face undergoes 4 main changes that become telltale signs of aging:
- Development of wrinkles
- Loss of facial volume
- Formation of irregular skin surface pigmentation
- Sagging of skin
Therefore, the key to successful facial rejuvenation depends on eradicating these 4 signs.
Of course, by taking care of yourself with a healthy diet, exercise and by keeping well hydrated and moisturized, you can maintain your youthful complexion. But if your face is already showing these signs of premature aging, here are 4 effective and safe treatment options I recommend to help slow down, and even reverse, that aging process.
TREATMENT: BOTULINUM TOXIN TYPE A
Botulinum toxin type A (brand name BOTOX®) injections are cosmetically used on facial areas with heavy muscle expression to relax the muscles. It has the effect of softening wrinkles and reducing fine lines. When used in low doses, it can improve the look of moderate to severe frown lines between the eyebrows (glabellar lines) for a short period of time. It can also be injected into the area around the side of the eyes to improve the look of moderate to severe crow’s feet lines. Additionally, placing the botulinum toxin in the muscles that depress the eyebrows can make the eyebrows relax in a naturally lifted position, mimicking the effect of a subtle eyebrow lift. The duration of results is variable between individuals, ranging from 3 to 6 months.
As we age, the amount of natural collagen, elastin, and hyaluronic acid in the skin decreases, as their production begins to slow down. We then begin to lose volume in prominent areas such as the cheeks and the malar area, which enhances the nasolabial lines casing heaviness to the face. Aging also causes atrophy to the facial bone, which causes the chin and the malar area to shrink even further. By lifting smoothing these areas and adding subtle volume, dermal fillers can make a huge difference to the appearance by giving more projection in the cheeks and chins for a fresher and more youthful look.
I usually recommend fat grafting to the face over dermal fillers (especially when the patient is also undergoing other forms of surgery) as fat grafting is a more permanent solution to add volume to the face. Fat grafting is also gaining popularity around the world as it recycles the patient’s own fats from unwanted areas.
Also, do note that the results of fat grafting are much more dependent on the skill of the surgeon than dermal fillers, I highly recommend that you look for a surgeon who has vast experience in this area.
TREATMENT: SKIN SURFACE REJUVENATION
I always remind my patients that the surface of the skin is the most prominent part of the face. Our faces can seem worn and aged when our skin takes on a different tone, or when its texture is made uneven or harsh because of scarring or pitting. Not only does it make us look older, it might even undermine our self-confidence.
For patients who want to improve the superficial layer of the skin, I recommend treatments such as microdermabrasion, chemical peels and laser therapy to help smoothen the surface of their face.
The last telltale sign of aging is a sagging face. And depending on each patient’s condition and requirements, I will recommend either surgical or non-surgical methods for lifting the face.
Non-Surgical Facelift Options:
- Liquid facelift – This form of facelift uses injectables such as dermal fillers and Botulinum toxin type A to mitigate the results of a lifted appearance. At the same time, this plumps up the skin and smoothens wrinkles and fine lines.
- Ultherapy® – This uses focused ultrasounds to stimulate collagen production within the skin in order to lift it. (Read more about Ultherapy®.)
- Thread lift – This is a temporary solution to provide physical lifting in the cheek areas by using special threads laid under the skin. I recommend this treatment for patients with mild to moderate sagging of facial tissues and want a quick fix for a special occasion.
Surgical Facelift Options:
- Standard full face and neck lift – The most complete form of surgery that delivers the most lasting and effective results. It address moderate to advance aging and sagging around the upper-face, mid-face and neck.
- Upper facelift – Also known as forehead lift, brow lift an upper facelift tightens the soft tissues of the forehead to restore a youthful contour to the forehead, upper eyelids and eyebrows. At the same time, a periorbital rejuvenation contributes to modifying the orbital shape to take years off the face and achieve a more youthful appearance.
- MACS facelift – This technique targets the sagging cheeks (more specifically, the upper-face, cheek and jaw area) and removes only a very small amount of skin. It is advisable for patients with mild to moderate facial sagging.
- Endoscopic facelift – As the worldwide pioneer of endoscopic surgery, I high recommend this technique for patients who have very little loose facial skin. Through short incisions and the use of endoscopes, the deep facial tissues are lifted and tightened to rejuvenate a tired appearance.
|Botulinum Toxin Type A||Fillers|
☐heavy muscle expression
|☐deep smile lines (nasolabial folds)
☐hollow under eyelids
|Skin Surface Rejuvenation||Facelift|
☐superficial acne scars
☐dull or sallow skin
|☐sagging face in general
☐drooping eyelids or eyebrows
If you have checked at least one box in any of the categories, you might be a suitable candidate for the associated treatment(s).
But also note that this self-assessment checklist is only a basic guide to understand your needs; it is always advisable to book a formal consultation to assess your situation, during which I will recommend either one or a combination of treatments to best suit you.
Having said that, please remember that our face, like other areas of the body, doesn’t age only with the passage of time. Sun exposure, pollution, smoking and other health conditions can also adversely affect your look, beyond your actual age. I highly recommend a healthy lifestyle, together with any facial rejuvenation treatments, to boost your overall health condition. To feel good is also to feel young.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this post is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, it is provided for educational purposes only. Always seek the advice of your plastic surgeon or other qualified healthcare provider before starting any new treatment or discontinuing an existing treatment. Always speak to your healthcare provider about any questions you may have regarding a procedure.