The Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL) is a procedure that is gaining a lot of popularity at my clinic and there are a multitude of reasons why. If you are considering getting a BBL, there are quite a few things that you should know beforehand.
WHAT DOES A BBL ENTAIL?
A BBL is a form of buttocks surgery that not only reshapes, but also enhances the size of the patient’s buttocks so that it better fits the figure and provides an attractive overall proportion.
It is essentially two procedures, liposuction and fat grafting.
Liposuction is first performed to remove fat from areas of the body with excess fat, including the back, stomach, arms, thighs and hips. The fat cells are then meticulously processed, purified and strategically re-injected into varying depths in order to lift, reshape, and create projection on the buttocks.
WHAT TYPE OF RESULTS CAN I EXPECT?
The two-pronged approach to BBL reduces the waist (love handles), sculpts the legs while creating a natural projection and lift in the buttocks. The result is a beautiful new ‘S’-shaped curve.
Sometimes, I will also proceed with additional liposuction around the bottom of the buttocks to improve the appearance of lift and contour, resulting in a perkier, youthful buttocks and a more curvy and sensual overall body profile. And since the fat is from your own body, there is no chance of rejection.
Compared to butt implant surgery which only focuses on augmenting the butt, BBL targets the love handles, hips, and butt, offering a more complete body makeover.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BBL & BUTT IMPLANTS?
- Procedure: BBL uses your own fats to enhance the buttocks while butt implant procedure involves surgically inserting a silicone implant into the butt.
- Targeted Area: BBL addresses the waist, buttocks and upper thighs sculpting the body into an hourglass figure, while butt implants involves only increasing the size of the buttocks.
- Suitable Candidates: Not every one is suitable for BBL; a combination of BBL and butt implants might be used if you do not have enough fat for transfer to the buttocks.
- Risk: As with all types of foreign objects inserted into the body—even pacemakers—butt implants comes with a rare chance of the patient developing capsular contracture. To read more about capsular contracture or rippling, check out my blog: https://www.drmarco.com/lets-talk-about-capsular-contracture-in-breast-implants/
- Recovery: BBL generally has a faster recovery (3-4 days) as compared to butt implant surgery (2 weeks).
- Results: As BBL uses your own fats, the final result is very natural, smooth, and soft. Whereas, butt implants give a more firm and projected outcome.
WILL I NEED ADDITIONAL PROCEDURES OVER THE YEARS?
A properly done BBL should NOT require additional procedures, even after several years.
After a successful BBL, some of the fat cells injected into the buttocks are naturally absorbed back into the body, those that remain will stay there for the rest of your life.
Like the rest of the tissue in your body, the grafted fat will grow and age with you. This is why I usually advice my patients to keep a healthy lifestyle with exercise and the right diet to help keep their buttocks looking great!
MY ADVICE FOR YOU: THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR FOR SUCCESSFUL BBL
A successful BBL largely depends on the plastic surgeon you choose; the surgeon’s patience, skill, and experience ultimately determines how well your BBL will look.
The surgeon needs to have a high level of patience to take the fat, purify it, and meticulously load into syringes in a non-traumatic method. The surgeon must then strategically re-inject the fat in small amounts while massaging to spread the fat evenly. The surgeon must be experienced to vary the depths of each injection to maximize the fat contact with blood supply to ensure maximum fat survival.
The procedure not only requires artful skill but also the experience to plan the surgery to suit each individual’s body types and requests.
Good communication between you and your surgeon is always important. I encourage you to discuss all your questions and concerns with the plastic surgeon you choose before embarking on your makeover journey.
To learn more about Brazilian Butt Lift, do contact us at:
Dr Marco Faria Correa Plastic Surgery
Tel: +65 64648075
Disclaimer: The information contained in this post is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, it is provided for educational purposes only. Always seek the advice of your plastic surgeon or other qualified healthcare provider before starting any new treatment or discontinuing an existing treatment. Always speak to your healthcare provider about any questions you may have regarding a procedure.