You may have thought that rectus diastasis happens usually to postpartum women but this condition can affect the men as well.
In true, it can affect anyone.
Examples of how a Rectus Diastasis look like :
How do you check for rectus diastasis?
Self Check! You can perform a self-check following these steps below :
1. Put your fingers where your bellybutton is and while trying to do a sit-up, you will feel a gap deep in your midline.
2. When doing a sit-up, there is a sausage-like bulge on the abdomen.
3. If you are a person that is fairly lean and is careful with your diet and exercise but having a bulge on your abdomen or “ pregnant looking bulge” that does not go away, these are some signs that your abdominal core muscles have been separated and have a rectus diastasis problem.
The best is still to make a proper consultation with a Plastic Surgeon to confirm your problem.
So what does Rectus Diastasis means?
Rectus refers to Recti or Rectus Abdominal Muscles also commonly known as Core Muscles.
DIastasis means Separation Gap
Rectus Diastasis = Rectus Abdominal MusclesSeparation Gap between the left and right abdominal muscles. Or It is a separation of the rectus abdominal ( abdominis ) in the midline of the core muscles.
The separation gap can be larger than 2 cm.
How can this happen to the man?
This Rectus Diastasis can happen to anyone, for example :
– for those who suffer from yo-yo weight gain and weight loss
– through the improper way of doing exercise or workout routine or strength training exercise with the proper techniques. It can also occur from poorly managed sit-ups or weightlifting exercises.
– can be idiopathic – meaning anyone can get it at any point in their life.
If you think you might be having this above problem, or want to know about the above treatment, you may visit us at www.drmarco.com for more information. Call us at 65-6464 8075 for an appointment.