A question that I regularly get is: “Can I combine my plastic surgery procedures together in one operation?”
The quick answer to this is YES!
But, it is important to take into account your overall health, while addressing all safety concerns first. Combining multiple procedures should also only happen when it benefits you. Every person is unique so the decision to combine or not will naturally have to be extensively discussed with an experienced plastic surgeon.
Nonetheless, there are some general advantages and disadvantages to having multiple procedures in one sitting. In this blog, I will offer my advice for anyone thinking of doing so.
ADVANTAGES OF COMBINING MULTIPLE PROCEDURES
- Recovery – Combining multiple procedures in one operation means having to go through only one recovery as opposed to having multiple surgeries requiring multiple recovery periods. It also means needing less time off work and less trips to the clinic.
- Costs and Time – Doing several surgeries at once is often more cost-saving and also time-saving than getting them done separately. Combining surgeries would mean that the pre-surgery preparation time required for each surgery (if conducted individually) would be saved, and time is money! Therefore, combining surgeries—one single anesthetist, one surgeon fee, one theatre booking and one hospital stay—definitely saves you time and money in the long run.
- Anesthesia – Aesthesia presents one of the risks of operation, so the fewer times the patient is subjected to it, the lower risk of any side effects. (Although it also means having to be under anesthesia for longer, which can also be risky.)
DISADVANTAGES OF COMBINING MULTIPLE PROCEDURES
- Complications – Combining multiple surgeries may increase the potential of complications, such as excessive blood loss during the surgery. This is why it is important for your plastic surgeon to be experienced to judge and decide if the operation should go on should any complications arise.
- Trauma Limit – Even with today’s high standards of technology, any kind of surgery is going to have trauma on the body. There is a limit to the amount of trauma the body can take at any one time. Your plastic surgeon should be able to advice you on which combinations are recommended and which are not.
COMMONLY COMBINED PLASTIC SURGERY PROCEDURES
- Combining breast lift with breast augmentation
- Combining facelift with eyelid surgery
- Combining rhinoplasty with chin implants
- Combining liposuction with tummy tuck
- Group of Mummy Makeover procedures
- Group of Facial Rejuvenation procedures
I recommend combining minor surgeries, or a minor one with a major one to avoid complications and excessive time under anesthesia.
In some cases, I avoid combining non-sterile procedures (like rhinoplasty) with another procedure because it might increase the risk of infection. But sometimes, the sterile procedures can be done first to avoid the risk of infection. It actually all depends on each individual’s case.
FINALLY, MY ADVICE FOR YOU
Combining multiple plastic surgery procedures is not only possible but also very beneficial.
If you are looking to undergo any combination of plastic surgeries, ensure that your surgeon is highly experienced and licensed by the medical board in their respective countries. Only an experienced plastic surgeon can best decide if combining procedures is the best option according to your specific characteristics. Your health and safety should also be their first priority.
Once you have found a plastic surgeon, always discuss any concerns or questions you may have during a face-to-face consultation. This will not only allow your surgeon to evaluate your condition, but also allow you to see if you feel comfortable with them (trust is important!).
In Singapore, plastic surgeons must be accredited by the Ministry of Health Singapore. Check here: http://bit.ly/1smGHDq
All in all, the safety of my patients is my priority, and I will only proceed with multiple surgeries if I think it is safe and it benefits my patients!
To learn more about combining plastic surgery procedures, do contact us at:
Dr Marco Faria Correa Plastic Surgery
Tel: +65 64648075
Disclaimer: The information contained in this post is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, it is provided for educational purposes only. Always seek the advice of your plastic surgeon or other qualified healthcare provider before starting any new treatment or discontinuing an existing treatment. Always speak to your healthcare provider about any questions you may have regarding a procedure.