What is Breast Implant Removal Surgery, also commonly known as Breast Explantation Surgery?
Breast Implant Removal Surgery, also known as Breast Explantation surgery is to remove your silicone breast implant.
What are some reasons why one will one to remove their breast implants?
There are varies reasons such as Personal Reasons or it could also be related to Medical Reasons.
Personal reasons could be due to
-Unsatisfied with cosmetic appearance such as changes in the breast shape due to
- capsular contractures
- breast implant displacement or malposition/bottom down
- flabbiness or rippling
- difficulty in fitting into cloths
- change of mindset
- desire to be natural
-Medical Reasons such as
- capsular contracture ( Breast Hardening) causing pain and discomfort
- possible signs of breast implant rupture
- possible signs of breast implant leakage
- fear of infection or inflammation
- emotional stress and fear of having Breast Implant Illness ( BIL) and BIA-ALCL
What is Breast Implant Illness ( BII )?
It is a term that ladies with breast implants who self-identify and describe a variety of symptoms such as fatigue, rash, anxiety, depression, hormonal issues that they feel related to their breast silicone or saline implants.
What is BIA-ALCL?
BIA-ALCL is known as Breast implant-associated anaplastic large cell lymphoma. It is a rare and highly treatable type of lymphoma that can develop around breast implants. BIA-ALCL occurs most frequently in patients who have breast implants with textured surfaces. This is a cancer of the immune system, not a type of breast cancer.
Tell me more about Breast Implant Removal / Breast Explantation Surgery?
The surgery is usually performed as a day surgery case under general anaesthesia. The surgery time usually takes around 2 hours depending on each case’s complexity. Whenever possible, an en-bloc capsulectomy is performed.
Drains are placed and any residual implant’s capsule, silicone due to implant rupture, free silicon will be cleaned out and all tissues, capsule or seroma liquid will be sent for histopathology. Dr Marco will check the breast pocket to ensure all haemostasis is performed before closing the wound. Closure of the wound with refined stitching will be done.
What Are the Reconstruction Options after Breast Implant Removal Surgery?
There are varies reconstructive methods after removing your breast implant. You can choose to :
- Remove the breast implant only
- Remove the old textured breast implant and change to a smooth breast implant
- Remove the breast implant + capsule only
- Remove the breast implant + capsule + skin tightening with no breast implants
- Remove the breast implant + capsule and fat grafting to the breast
What is the downtime and recovery like?
All patients will go home with a tight compression bandage and drains. The drains will be removed usually between 1 to 3 days depending on each individual recovery.
Light exercise can resume after 1 week.
What is En-bloc capsulectomy?
The implant and capsule is removed as one whole piece/ monoblock.
To learn more about Capsular Contracture, please click here for more information.
If you are thinking of removing your breast implants, you may contact us at 65-6464 8075 to make an appointment to have your consultation with Dr Marco.